How comfortable are men with being nude in communal showers and locker rooms in your country or culture?

popolki12

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
At my gym in France, near Paris, there are a few cubicles, and a large room with open showers. A lot of men use the cubicles, but often when groups of basketball/handball players or other team sports come (it's a big facilities) they all shower together. Sometimes I find myself in the middle of a dozen or so naked young sportsmen. It's a real pleasure to be in the middle of all these young naked men, talking to each other, joking, throwing water at each other, and staying much longer than a normal shower cause they enjoy this unique male bonding. There's nothing sexual about it, it's a childish pleasure for them to be with each other in this way, they're so happy and relaxed, it's terrible that our society deprives most men of this experience.

Adamandadam

Cherished Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm certainly afraid of getting an erection, and afraid of others getting erections around me. I need boundaries. Not that flirting isn't desirable. I have known a few straight men who made a point of letting me admire and enjoy their bodies without following through, which was kind, if frustrating. Sometimes they care, and just aren't able to be of help.

Reactions: sushantkosey

dreams69

Loved Member
Media
At my gym in France, near Paris, there are a few cubicles, and a large room with open showers. A lot of men use the cubicles, but often when groups of basketball/handball players or other team sports come (it's a big facilities) they all shower together. Sometimes I find myself in the middle of a dozen or so naked young sportsmen. It's a real pleasure to be in the middle of all these young naked men, talking to each other, joking, throwing water at each other, and staying much longer than a normal shower cause they enjoy this unique male bonding. There's nothing sexual about it, it's a childish pleasure for them to be with each other in this way, they're so happy and relaxed, it's terrible that our society deprives most men of this experience.
Which gym is it please?

Reactions: Pp22222

Scottparker

Legendary Member
Media
I understand people being body conscious but the locker room / showers are literally designed for people to be naked in! Isn’t it weirder to be clothed?
Young guys have a lot of complexes, they’d rather sweat out of the gym than take a shower and get naked. It seems that young men do not undress in front of other men except for sex. They have the nude as a taboo. I also think that if you go somewhere and all the men are naked, it’s easier for them to be naked and interact. It seems something very difficult to happen

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
No Response
I understand people being body conscious but the locker room / showers are literally designed for people to be naked in! Isn’t it weirder to be clothed?
Absolutely weird. My nephew is of the generation that, apparently, without checking with me or anything (!), showered with their underwear on. So fuckin weird.
Then he went into the Army, and that took care of THAT!

bgzez

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Young guys have a lot of complexes, they’d rather sweat out of the gym than take a shower and get naked. It seems that young men do not undress in front of other men except for sex. They have the nude as a taboo. I also think that if you go somewhere and all the men are naked, it’s easier for them to be naked and interact. It seems something very difficult to happen

Where I live it's similar. The younger they are more shy they are.

FrankieGuile

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
What would be weird is if showers were "figuratively" designed for naked people. I'm not sure what literal design is. Whatever the case, suffice it say it would be weird for someone to be fully clothed in a shower, whether public or private. It is nearly as weird for people to bully or shame others to be naked in front of them.

bgzez

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
What would be weird is if showers were "figuratively" designed for naked people. I'm not sure what literal design is. Whatever the case, suffice it say it would be weird for someone to be fully clothed in a shower, whether public or private. It is nearly as weird for people to bully or shame others to be naked in front of them.
"Weird"? Because it's more normal to bully/shame people into being dressed?

I wouldn't call it weird but just aggressive, both cases.

MH12345

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I’m 20 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: JayPR

FrankieGuile

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
"Weird"? Because it's more normal to bully/shame people into being dressed?

I wouldn't call it weird but just aggressive, both cases.
I think "weird" is a good use of the word to describe any man so carnally fixated on other men getting dressed and undressed or showering.

GeorgiaMan

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If I saw a guy in an open shower getting cleaned up while wearing their underwear or a bathing suit, I would think it's weird but of course I wouldn't say anything to him because that's a personal matter.

I've only had a few instances to use completely open showers and it wasn't tough for me, but by that point I had become comfortable naked around other guys. We all know that for the last thirty plus years male nudity has been more taboo even between friends.

I was shy until college and sharing an apartment with some friends. We weren't gratuitous with nudity but all of us saw each other naked fairly often when getting dressed or sharing a hotel room on a road trip. I didn't use an open shower until sometime after that so I guess my nudity cherry was popped by then and I wasn't phased.

Guys should feel free to do whatever they wish that makes them comfortable.

FrankieGuile

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If I saw a guy in an open shower getting cleaned up while wearing their underwear or a bathing suit, I would think it's weird but of course I wouldn't say anything to him because that's a personal matter.

I've only had a few instances to use completely open showers and it wasn't tough for me, but by that point I had become comfortable naked around other guys. We all know that for the last thirty plus years male nudity has been more taboo even between friends.

I was shy until college and sharing an apartment with some friends. We weren't gratuitous with nudity but all of us saw each other naked fairly often when getting dressed or sharing a hotel room on a road trip. I didn't use an open shower until sometime after that so I guess my nudity cherry was popped by then and I wasn't phased.

Guys should feel free to do whatever they wish that makes them comfortable.
"We all know that for the last thirty plus years male nudity has been more taboo"? I guess we all didn't know that. I didn't know that. I've never experienced such a taboo. In fact, I've never experienced anything but normal behavior among men in a locker room or showers. You can speak for yourself for what you consider taboos, but leave "all" of us out of it.

bgzez

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I think "weird" is a good use of the word to describe any man so carnally fixated on other men getting dressed and undressed or showering.

"man so carnally fixated on other men getting dressed and undressed or showering" and "people bully or shame others to be naked in front of them" is not quite the same, is it? Anyway, I was just asking why weird(for the latter).

Reactions: JayPR